Section 3, Lesson 2
How To Black Beans in 35 minutes with Instant Pot
How to Cook Instant Pot Black Beans
- Add beans and water (or broth) to Instant Pot. We also like a little onion and salt for added flavor (optional).
- Secure lid, press Pressure Cook — High, and set to 30 minutes. It will take ~8 minutes to pressurize and then the cooking will begin.
- When the Instant Pot timer goes off, set a separate timer for 10 minutes and allow the steam to release naturally (that means don’t push any buttons).
- Carefully remove lid and enjoy perfectly cooked beans!
- 1 cup dry black beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1/4 medium yellow onion,
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Garlic powder
- 5 cups water or veggie broth (vegan broth)
- Add beans, onion (optional), salt, water or vegetable broth, and water to the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 35 minutes (it will take about 8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize and precook before cooking begins). Then let the beans rest in the pot for 20 minutes so the steam can dissipate naturally (this means you don’t push any buttons — we recommend setting another timer so you’ll remember to remove the lid after 20 minutes).
- Carefully remove the lid once the steam has fully escaped. Remove onion and strain off any excess cooking liquid. Enjoy, store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 7 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.