Section 2, Lesson 2
How To Make Lentils
- 2 cup lentils (red, green, brown, etc.)
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the lentils and water. Put the rinsed lentils to a small saucepan and add the water. Add any seasonings being used.
- Bring to a rapid simmer, then reduce heat. Bring the water to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a very gentle simmer. You should only see a few small bubbles and some slight movement in the lentils.
- Simmer the lentils. Simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes. Add more water as needed to make sure the lentils are just barely covered.
- Salt the lentils. Lentils are cooked as soon as they are tender and no longer crunchy. Older lentils may take longer to cook and shed their outer skins as they cook. Strain the lentils. Return the lentils to the pan and stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt. Taste and add more salt as needed. Lentils can also be added to soups, salads, or other recipes.