Back to Program
The Lifting Library
Section 5, Lesson 1
Machine Lat Pulldown
- Grab the bar with a overhand wide grip. Other positions and grips are possible, but start with this standard position.
- Pull the bar down until it’s approximately level with the chin. Exhale on the downward eccentric motion. While shifting just slightly backward, aim to keep your upper torso stationary. Keep your feet flat on the floor and engage your abs as you pull. The bottom of the motion should be where your elbows can’t move downward any more without moving backward. Make sure to stop at that point and do not go lower.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades together while maintaining square shoulders.
- From the bottom position, with the bar close to your chin, slowly return the bar to the starting position while controlling its ascent. Don’t let it crash into the weight plates.
- Continue until you complete all reps for your given set. Rest, then continue to complete your program of sets.